Note: These policies are from the 2012-2013 academic year. Some policies that reside on other websites have not been archived.
View current policies →

For purposes of this subsection, "recognized student organization" refers to a student organization recognized by a student governing body unless otherwise noted. Student organizations not recognized by a student governing body but recognized by an academic college are bound by regulations listed below governing solicitation on campus, guest speakers, posters, printing, and alcohol. Student organizations recognized by a college may use University facilities and services but requests for use of University services and facilities must be made by a representative of the college. Residence hall governing bodies (such as the Associated Residence Halls and individual building associations) operate under regulations promulgated by the Department of University Housing & Dining and are exempt from these procedures.

  1. Sponsorship. Sponsorship is determined by an organization’s participation alone or with others in planning, promoting, financing, executing, and evaluating an event. An event is considered to be sponsored by an organization when organization members are notified in a regular or special meeting or by a special announcement or posting, or when the financial responsibility is met by the organization, or when specific plans or arrangements are made to conduct an event. Absence of members at an event does not relieve the organization from responsibility as sponsor. However, presence of members of an organization at an event does not automatically qualify that organization as a sponsor unless the organization itself took part in planning, announcing, discussing, financing, or executing the event.

  2. Use of University Space and Facilities. Recognized student organizations may use University space and facilities with written permission subject to University regulations. In order to seek written permission to use University space and facilities, recognized student organizations must submit an Event Information Form at the appropriate office (as identified below) prior to the event within established time limits. The event registration process for all facilities on campus begins at IMU Events Office, 145 IMU, and Event Information Forms must be signed by a representative of the Center for Student Involvement & Leadership. Requests for use of Iowa Memorial Union facilities, Hubbard Park and Danforth Chapel are to be submitted to Event Services, 145 IMU. Requests for Carver-Hawkeye Arena, the Recreation Building, Field House, Halsey Gymnasium, North Hall Gym, Kinnick Stadium, canoe house, and tennis courts, are to be submitted to Recreational Services, 113 Field House. Requests for use of space within the residence halls system should be submitted to the hall manager of the building in which the desired space is located. Requests for permission to use other University rooms, auditoria, and indoor facilities ordinarily must be submitted at least one week in advance to the Class Scheduling Office, Office of the Registrar, 34 MacBride Hall ( Requests for use of the Pentacrest, Kautz Plaza, and other outdoor space should be submitted to Events Services, 145 IMU for final approval by the vice president for student life.

  3. Charges for Use of Space and Facilities. Recognized student organizations which are permitted to use available University space and facilities may be charged an amount commensurate with the expense incurred by the University in making the facility available.

  4. Fianances. All recognized student organizations are required to deposit all receipts in and make disbursements through the Student Organization Business Office, Fraternity Business Services, or Recreational Services. External accounts are not allowed unless approved by the Vice President.

    Upon dissolution of the student organization, UI allocated monies and mandatory student fees revert back to the granting organization. Inactive organizations will be considered dissolved after five years of no account activity or after five years of defunct status. Revenue generated dollars or “00 funds” must be divided as stated in the organization’s constitution and carried out by the dissolving organization’s leadership.

    Student organizations must describe within their constitution where revenue generated dollars or “00 funds” should be divided/disbursed upon dissolution. Each student organization must submit a copy of minutes in which the division of the groups “00 funds” was agreed upon. It is the responsibility of the dissolving organization’s principal and secondary representatives to guarantee this process is completed.

    If the organization has dissolved and revenue generated dollars or “00 funds” have not been divided as stated in the organization’s constitution by five years from last account activity, funds in the organization’s “00 account” will revert to an account specified for this purpose within UISG/ECGPS. These funds will be available for distribution through SABAC or GPAC guidelines in accordance with University of Iowa policy.

    Student organizations utilizing online registration, through which a financial transaction is occurring that will benefit the student organization, must utilize The University of Iowa approved vendor for online registrations.

    Student organizations must comply with all financial policies and procedures established by The University of Iowa.

  5. Fund-Raising. Fund-raising activities by recognized student organizations are regulated on the basis of the type of event and the proposed location. Any activity is considered to be a fund-raising event if funds or other valuable assets such as food or supplies are sought to be obtained from members or non-members for purposes of improving the financial status of the organization or another organization. This includes, for example, raffles or other games of chance or events in which services are provided in exchange for money or other assets. Bake sales and other fund-raising activities prohibited by local health regulations are not permitted anywhere on campus. Periodic membership dues must be collected using the University's cash-handling procedures and turned in to the Student Organization Business Office or IMU Box Office as soon as possible.

    Fund-raising activities that constitute commercial solicitation must take place in or adjacent to the IMU, which is the only campus building designated for commercial solicitation (refer to subsection 6 below). Recognized student organizations may engage in fund-raising activities off campus, provided such activities are registered in advance. For activities that are not fund-raising events, necessary paperwork must be filed if student organization funds are utilized, such as an event at which admission is charged (refer to subsection 5 below).

    To register a fund-raising activity, an Event Information Form must be completed. These forms are available in Events Services. Recognized student organizations wishing to hold games of chance, raffles, bingo, and so forth, as part of a fund-raiser must also register this event/activity in the Student Organization Business Office, which administers the University of Iowa license covering these types of events. Fund-raising activities which take place on campus must be in compliance with the University solicitation policy (refer to subsection 6 below). 

  6. Registration of Programs to which Admission Is Charged and/or Donations Are Accepted. Recognized student organizations may sponsor entertainment or lecture programs to which a general admission fee is charged provided such programs are registered with Events Services at least two weeks in advance. Event Information Forms are available in Events Services and are to be signed by a principal representative of the sponsoring organization and an adviser from the Center for Student Involvement & Leadership. No contracts or other financial commitments may be made by the sponsoring organization until registration has been completed. 

    When admission is charged or donations are solicited at an event held on campus, the University Box Office must approve the method to collect the money. Persons interested in obtaining a Box Office fee schedule should contact the University Box Office. Organizations must make all financial arrangements through the Student Organization Business Office (159 IMU). The sponsoring organization must have a balance on hand in its treasury sufficient to cover the cost of the program, including facility rental, University Box Office charges, speaker’s fee, advertising and other expenses, or adequate funds must actually be deposited with the organization by an underwriter, which funds cannot be repaid until all costs and expenses incurred by the organization in presenting the program have been satisfied. No advertising or publicizing of any commercial product or trade name shall be permitted without prior approval. 

  7. Solicitation on Campus. A recognized student organization is eligible to engage in solicitation activities on campus consistent with University regulations. An organization may engage in commercial solicitation and non-commercial solicitation, although commercial solicitation must take place in or adjacent to the IMU, which is the only campus building designated for commercial solicitation.

    For the purposes of this section the term “commercial solicitation” is defined as the selling of items, materials or products, and services by a recognized student organization to persons outside its membership. This includes raffles and other games of chance authorized through the University of Iowa gambling license. Thus, commercial solicitation includes, for example, the selling of literature or the selling of tickets to a public event. Solicitation that is non-commercial in nature is subject to time, place, and manner restrictions.

    Financial benefits secured by a sponsoring student organization through solicitation may not be converted to private uses and must be deposited in the organization’s account. The benefits may be donated to a non-profit charity. While University policy permits recognized student organizations to solicit on behalf of commercial for-profit enterprises, University policy regulates the time, place, and frequency of solicitation. An off-campus enterprise whose items or services are being marketed by a student organization may be required to indemnify the University and provide adequate insurance well in advance of the solicitation event as a pre-condition of approval.

    On campus, recognized student organizations may only solicit (1) at reasonable times and places, (2) in a manner consistent with the educational purposes of the University, (3) under reasonable conditions imposed by the University officials charged with control of the areas involved, and (4) under any rules prescribed by the Center for Student Involvement & Leadership and Events Services. To receive permission to solicit funds or other valuable assets, a student organization must first file an Event Information Form as explained in sub-section 4 above, and permission must be approved before solicitation may commence. General questions about solicitation should be directed to the Center for Student Involvement & Leadership. All financial transactions shall be handled by the University Box Office to ensure compliance with the solicitation policy.

    Nonprofit associations (those granted exemption from taxes by the Internal Revenue Service under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code) not recognized as student organizations may only solicit in the Iowa Memorial Union. To receive written permission to solicit in the Union, student and non-student organizations must submit an Event Information Form, which is available in IMU Events Services, which is to be signed by a principal representative of the sponsoring organization and an adviser from the Center for Student Involvement & Leadership and which is to be submitted at least 3 working days in advance of the event date. No outside organization may solicit in the IMU for more than 14 days, whether continuous or intermittent, per fiscal year except by contract with the University.

    As space permits, each recognized student organization is entitled to a reservation for one table in the designated area within the Iowa Memorial Union for a period of five days per month, consecutive or not. If an organization has not occupied the reserved table within an hour of the scheduled time, the table is forfeited. Forfeited space will be allocated to organizations upon request on a daily first-come, first-served basis. Four organizations can be scheduled for tables at one time. The Event Information Form must still be completed before occupying the table.

    If an organization is raising funds by sponsoring an outside vendor to sell their products, the organization must have a written agreement (available from Events Services) with the vendor which entitles the sponsoring organization to at least 25 percent of the gross sales. A copy of this agreement must accompany the Event Information Form. All financial transactions shall be handled by the University Box Office to ensure compliance with the solicitation policy. Each organization maintaining a table in the Iowa Memorial Union is responsible for requiring solicitors to remain behind the table, providing a student member in attendance at the table, and for clearly identifying the sponsoring student organization at each table. All materials, equipment and literature must be confined to the table or the posting strips behind the table. No organization may solicit by accosting individuals or by hawking or shouting.

    Requests to solicit in indoor University facilities other than the Iowa Memorial Union should be made to the Facilities Management, Space Planning and Utilization, pursuant to the provisions of the University Operations Manual. Final decisions in response to requests for outdoor solicitation are made by the vice president for student services. When an organization is conducting the solicitation, it must be identified at every location by means of a sign or announcement.

    In determining the reasonableness of the time, place, and manner of the solicitation activity planned, the Center for Student Involvement & Leadership, Events Services, and Facilities Management, Space Planning and Utilization shall consider whether the proposed activity conflicts with regularly scheduled University activities or other scheduled events in the area. The effect of the activity on normal pedestrian and vehicular traffic, the availability of alternate facilities, and similar factors may also be considered. Other reasonable time, place, and manner conditions may be imposed as a precondition of conducting the activity (e.g., an applicant may be asked for information regarding the anticipated number of participants and spectators, the adequacy of arrangements for crowd control, parking, and sanitary facilities).

    No application shall be denied unless the applicant is apprised of the reasons for the denial. In the case of a denial, an immediate appeal shall be afforded by the vice president.

    While observing the rules restricting solicitation on campus, student organization leaders should keep in mind the importance of avoiding conflicts of interest.  University policy prohibits a group leader from asking group members for contributions which would benefit the group leader personally.  Group leaders who operate a private business must agree to refrain from promoting their business within the student organization.  Similarly, group leaders shall not accept price discounts or free tickets, for example, from outside promoters if the discounts are not allocated to all members of the group.

  8. Political Solicitation. Solicitation by and on behalf of candidates for municipal, county, state, or federal political offices is permitted under limited circumstances. Student organizations that support the election or defeat of a particular candidate, party, or ballot issue may (1) advertise meetings and events on campus bulletin boards; (2) reserve tables in the designated area of the Iowa Memorial Union; (3) reserve designated display cases in the Iowa Memorial Union; and (4) reserve University facilities for meetings and events. These privileges are subject to space limitations and appropriate University regulations regarding use. A visit to campus by a candidate for a non-University elected office or by an agent for such a candidate must be sponsored by a recognized student organization.

    Candidates for student government positions must follow election rules for solicitation and posting established by the Student Elections Board.

    Information about posting regulations is available at the University Box Office. Residence hall regulations governing political solicitation are available from University Housing, Burge Hall. 

  9. Guest Speakers. Recognized student organizations may invite guest lecturers, panel participants, discussion leaders, or others from off campus to speak or otherwise participate in campus programs, provided such programs are registered at least one week in advance. Event Information Forms are available from IMU Events Services and are to be signed by a principal representative of the sponsoring organization and an adviser from the Center for Student Involvement & Leadership. Final arrangements with guest speakers should not be made by the sponsoring organization until registration has been completed. 

    In the event the speaker or the issues are controversial, the adviser may require the sponsoring organization (a) to obtain a tenured member of the faculty to chair the program and (b) to provide for the speaker to be subjected to questions from the audience at some time during the program. (For more information, see University Operations Manual Section V-28). 

  10. Posters & Chalking. Student organizations that wish to post throughout the residence halls system must contact University Housing & Dining, 4141 Burge Hall. Student organizations that wish to post only in one residence hall should contact the hall coordinator office for that building. Recognized student organizations that wish to place posters on the Cambus buses must contact the Cambus office, Stadium Drive. 

  11. Chalking
    Chalking is defined as the marking of a surface with chalk in order to communicate a message. Recognized student organizations may “chalk” to publicize an upcoming event which that organization is sponsoring that will be open to all students. Chalking is only allowed on the three sidewalks that are the perimeter to Hubbard Park (North, East, and South sides) and T. Anne Cleary Walkway (Jefferson St. to Market St.). The message/artwork must include the name of the sponsoring student organization and may only be created with water soluble chalk (aka “sidewalk chalk”).

    The following types of messages may not be chalked under any circumstances, and the University reserves the right to remove any such messages and may impose disciplinary sanctions for them: Any obscenity; any profanity; any form of hate speech; any message threatening individuals or groups of people or to incite physical or psychological harm.

    Complaints about chalking may be directed to the Office of the Vice President for Student Life.

    Student organizations that fail to comply with this policy may lose the privilege to request funding provided by UISG and may be subject to loss of student organization recognition.

    The Office of the Vice President for Student Life has authority to manage this policy and to take action based on it, together with other University policies and all applicable law, with respect to chalking on University property. Facilities Management and other University administrators are authorized to remove any chalking that does not comply with this policy. The Office of the Vice President for Student Life also is authorized

    Posters and chalkings displayed in violation of the posting policy will be removed by employees of Facilities Management. Costs associated with removal will be charged directly to the student organization account. 

  12. Display Cases in the IMU. Recognized student organizations and University departments may reserve display cases in the Iowa Memorial Union. Any group may reserve one case for up to two weeks each semester. Display cases are for general use, including political, issue-oriented displays. In the event of controversies resulting from the contents in display cases, the directors of the Iowa Memorial Union and the Center for Student Involvement & Leadership will attempt to arrange a meeting of those organizations involved in order to facilitate an exchange of ideas of diverse vantage points and a better understanding of the ideology or message of the display. If requested and if space permits, Events Office will offer the protesting organization an equal opportunity to use a display case to present its viewpoint. (For more information, see University Operations Manual section IV-4.) 

  13. Printing. The University of Iowa Printing Department is the University’s printer and purchasing agent for printing and related services. All printing services paid for by a university account, including the accounts of recognized student organizations, must be purchased through the Printing Department. Any use of an outside vendor for printing services must be approved in advance by the Printing Department. Printing services include typesetting, copying, duplicating, printing, and any other graphic process or service, such as programs, flyers, brochures, and posters.

  14. Alcohol. All recognized student organizations must abide by University rules governing possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages. University alcohol regulations are described in Section II (D.) of the Policies & Regulations affecting Students. University policy prohibits the use of University funds for the purchase of alcoholic beverages for events on campus or off campus. In addition, any reference to alcohol in advertising for the activity shall be omitted. In the event that state laws concerning sale, possession, and consumption of alcoholic beverages are not observed during an event sponsored by a student organization, the organization's recognition may be withdrawn.

    Alcoholic beverage service will not be available to student organizations sponsoring events in the Iowa Memorial Union where students under the age of 21 are in attendance. Student organizations whose membership consists of students over the age of 21 may request alcoholic beverage service as an amenity to a program held in the Iowa Memorial Union. A Request Form for Alcoholic Beverage Service must accompany the Event Information Form and be submitted to the IMU Events Office no later than 14 working days prior to the scheduled date of the event. If approved, all State, University, and IMU policies and procedures related to the sale and service of alcoholic beverages will be observed. Additional information regarding the sale, distribution, and consumption of alcoholic beverages in the IMU and on the University campus is contained in the IMU Alcohol Beverage Service Policy.

    Greek-letter chapters affiliated with the Interfraternity Council or Panhellenic Association must abide by the Events Policy established by their respective governing body. 

  15. Hazing. The Code of Student Life and the Policy on Violence prohibit harassment, assault, and other forms of threatening behavior. When threatening behavior takes place within the context of a student organization or club and is directed at a student interested in participating in group activities, sanctions will be imposed upon the group or club as well as the students. Sanctions up to and including de-recognition from the University are imposed upon a group or club when one or more members or associates of the group or club commit an act of hazing.

    In addition to institutional sanctions, a person who commits an act of hazing may be subject to criminal sanctions under section 708.10 of the Code of Iowa . The University defines hazing more broadly than the Code of Iowa criminal definition. In applying the anti-hazing policy to individual cases, the following standards will be utilized during the administrative process to determine whether a hazing violation did occur as alleged.

    Hazing is any intentional or unintentional reckless action or situation – with or without consent – that endangers a student or creates risk of injury, mental or physical discomfort, harassment, embarrassment, and/or ridicule – whether on campus or off campus – for the purpose of initiation into, affiliation with, or as a condition for continued membership in any student organization or team recognized by the University of Iowa Student Government or by any other University sponsor.

    Acts of hazing include, but are not limited to: compulsory alcohol or drug consumption; physical brutality; psychological cruelty; public humiliation; morally degrading activities; forced confinement; creation of excessive fatigue; required removal or destruction of public or private property; or any other activity that endangers the physical, mental, psychological, or academic well being and/or safety of an individual. Any requirement imposed upon prospective, new, or current members which is not related to the organization's purpose is discouraged and will become the subject of a University investigation once the practice is brought to the attention of the Office of Student Life.

    This policy applies to all UI students and all UI student organizations and clubs. Some University programs promulgate anti-hazing policies specifically for students participating in their programs. The Department of Athletics enforces a hazing policy, as does the UI Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council. Copies are available at the respective department offices.
Updated August, 2012