Check out the 2020 Dean of Students Welcome Guide to learn more about the Division of Student Life, important fall dates, and a list of resources and support programs available to all University of Iowa students.
Fall 2020 Practices
The Office of the Dean of Students will continue to remain open and fully operational during the Fall 2020 semester. The re-opening will align with the opening of the Iowa Memorial Union (IMU). Staff members will be present, for the most part, on a daily basis and the DOS office will have hand sanitizer, face coverings available to anyone who may need them, and reduced density.
When You Visit In-Person
- Wear a face covering and follow university COVID-19 guidelines.
- Students can access DOS services in-person, through email, by phone, and over zoom.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) will be available: hand sanitizer, disposable masks.
How to Access our Services
The Office of the Dean of Students will continue to provide information on the DOS website as well as have out of office messages on all primary email accounts. We will continue to use email, social media, and our website to promote programs and events across campus.
- Students can schedule a Zoom appointment by either calling or emailing the DOS office at 319-335-1162 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students can access the DOS office located at 135 IMU.
- The DOS office will be a point of contact for students that may need an extra face covering during the day.
- The DOS office will also serve as a drop-in location for students by providing one of our offices as a private location for students to call or Zoom with other resources across campus as needed.
COVID-19 Health & Safety Measures
- Staff will wear face coverings and only 2-3 staff members will be present in the office on any given day.
- Any students or campus members will be asked to wear face coverings.
- Measures will be taken to reduce or eliminate social contact in shared spaces.
- Face coverings and hand sanitizer will be provided to students who may need them while visiting the DOS office in person.
- Phone: (319) 335-1162
- Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Report a Concern: use the webform at dos.uiowa.edu to report any concerns you may have
The DOS office will provide campus with regular updates regarding workshops, in-services, program offerings, events, and service changes through several channels:
DOS Social Media:
- Protective Equipment Update: Pick-up Process for Students
Upon their return to campus, students will be provided with a protective equipment (PE) kit for the fall 2020 semester. Each kit will contain 2 reusable cloth face coverings, 2 disposable masks, 1 face shield, and one small hand sanitizer.
Students living on campus in the residence halls will receive a PE kit as part of the move-in process. Incoming first-year students and transfer students who live off campus will be issued their kits at On Iowa! check in, in the second floor ballroom of the Iowa Memorial Union.
Students who live off-campus should plan to pick up their PE kit at one of several distribution locations (listed below) between Aug. 10 and Aug. 23. Students will need their Iowa OneCard or student ID number to pick up their PE kit. The rain location is the IMU Hubbard Commons for all dates and all times. Directions and exact building locations can be found on the UI campus maps website.
Student PE Distribution Schedule
- August 10, 2020 – Drive Thru Option – Hancher Lot 55 - 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- August 11, 2020 – Drive Thru Option – Hancher Lot 55 – 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- August 12, 2020 – Drive Thru Option – Hancher Lot 55 – 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- August 13, 2020 – UI Pentacrest – 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- August 13, 2020 – Latino Native American Cultural Center (LNACC) Lawn – 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- August 14, 2020 – UI Pentacrest – 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- August 14, 2020 – Latino Native American Cultural Center (LNACC) Lawn – 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- August 17, 2020 – Latino Native American Cultural Center (LNACC) lawn – 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- August 17, 2020 – UI Pentacrest – 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- August 18, 2020 – UI Hubbard Park – 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- August 18, 2020 – Medical Education Research Facility (MERF) east courtyard – 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- August 19, 2020 – Medical Education Research Facility (MERF) east courtyard – 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- August 19, 2020 - UI Hubbard Park – 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- August 20, 2020 – Latino Native American Cultural Center (LNACC) lawn – 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- August 20, 2020 – UI Pentacrest – 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- August 21, 2020 – Medical Education Research Facility (MERF) east courtyeard – 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- August 21, 2020 – UI Hubbard Park – 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- August 22, 2020 – UI Hubbard Park – 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- August 23, 2020 – UI Hubbard Park – 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- August 24, 2020 – August 28, 2020 – Kits are available at the IMU Welcome Center and the Office of Dean of Students.
Students who would like to pick up a PE kit early may do so by signing up for a time using this form. Kits will be available for students to pick up at the Iowa Memorial Union on Tuesdays and Thursdays between the hours of 10 a.m. and noon. If you need a kit immediately and cannot pick one up during one of the designated times, you can make an appointment by contacting Pam Krogmeier, Office of the Dean of Students, by email at email@example.com.
Reminder: Face Covering Expectations
Everyone entering a university building is expected to follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Unless otherwise indicated, you must wear applicable face coverings (cloth covering, disposable or cloth mask, face shield) when on campus unless you are alone in a private office or with your roommate in a residence hall room.