Student Emergency Fund
This fund was created to assist and support University of Iowa students who encounter an unforeseen financial emergency or catastrophic event which would otherwise prevent them from continuing their education at the University of Iowa. The fund is supported by the University of Iowa Student Government (UISG) and the Graduate and Professional Student Government (GPSG). It is administered by Student Care & Assistance, a unit within the Office of the Dean of Students.
These funds are not intended to be used for routine expenses or as a supplement to a student’s education funding sources. Instead, these funds are for those students who experience an event or unforeseen circumstance that negatively and severely impacts their academic success. The Office of Student Financial Aid provides assistance in determining if the granting of the emergency fund request would have a negative impact on current and future aid received. Priority will be given to students whose tenure at the University of Iowa may be at risk because of unexpected expenses. Funds may only be awarded once during a student's academic career at the University of Iowa.
Situations that warrant funding may include:
- medical, dental or mental health emergencies for the student. This could include acute psychological crisis and short-term disability, necessitating immediate intervention. Monies could assist in continued enrollment or to cover an expense not covered by insurance or other funding.
- major accidents and events such as fire and natural disasters. Unexpected costs related to the event for which the student is financially unprepared are a few examples.
- safety needs. This could include the cost of changing a lock or a temporary relocation of residence.
- expenses related to the death of an immediate family member.
To be eligible, students:
- need to be currently enrolled at the University of Iowa during the term when the emergency funds would be applied.
- must have a financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unplanned event.
- must be able to demonstrate their current financial need.
- must complete all questions in full, including how the monies will be spent.
- must describe other sources of funding and financial resources that have been considered (including student loans, Medicaid, personal financial accounts, community resources) and are insufficient, unavailable, or not available in a timely manner.
An application may be found at: dos.uiowa.edu/emergency-fund
Please contact a staff member in Student Care & Assistance at 319-335-1162 or email@example.com regarding any questions or to find out more about the application process.
Trans Student Support Fund
This fund is to assist and support University of Iowa trans students who desire to pursue legal name and document changes, but have limited financial means to complete the process. Issues related to identity and the ability to legally change documents and names can sometimes limit a student’s ability to fully participate academically and socially on campus, thus preventing them from continuing their education at the University of Iowa.
Student Care & Assistance, in collaboration with the UI Trans Alliance organization, University of Iowa Student Government (UISG), and Graduate and Professional Student Government (GPSG), developed a financial support fund that allows students with demonstrated financial need the opportunity to work with campus resources to obtain the necessary funds to complete their legal name and document change. The fund is supported by UISG and GPSG. Students applying for funds will work with Student Legal Services to complete the legal process for changing their name and documents.
To be eligible, students:
- need to be currently enrolled at the University of Iowa.
- must have a demonstrated financial need.
- must work with Student Legal Services to be eligible for funding.
Students may submit an application to Student Care & Assistance or speak with a staff member in Student Legal Services. The application can be found at: dos.uiowa.edu/transgender-support-fund
Please contact a staff member in Student Care & Assistance (319-335-1162, firstname.lastname@example.org) or Student Legal Services (319-335-3276, email@example.com) regarding any questions or to find out more about the fund.
Safe Room Program
The Office of the Dean of Students, in collaboration with the Iowa Memorial Union and the Iowa House Hotel, provides a safe room program for those who need an emergency place to stay because of safety or violence concerns. The rooms are available as a temporary accommodation and a signed agreement from the participating party is required. Those eligible will be referred to the program directly from the following resources: the Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator, University of Iowa Police Department, Rape Victim Advocacy Program, Student Care and Assistance, or other advocacy programs.
For additional information, please contact Student Care & Assistance at 319-335-1162 or firstname.lastname@example.org.