The University of Iowa offers the Student Name Change Fund for any undergraduate, graduate, and professional student needing assistance with legal name changes but with limited financial means or support. We also provide support for the cost of a new Iowa One Card if a student is not able to cover the costs for an update after a name change. This fund was initially created to assist students who are trans identified and seeking to update their documentation, but expanded to provide support to all students facing barriers in updating legal documentation. Issues related to identity and the ability to legally change documents and names can sometimes limit a student’s ability to fully participate academically and socially on campus, thus preventing them from continuing their education at the University of Iowa.

In 2016, the Office of the Dean of Students, the UI Trans Alliance organization, Undergraduate Student Government (USG), and Graduate and Professional Student Government (GPSG) developed a financial support fund that allows students with demonstrated financial need the opportunity to work with campus resources to obtain the necessary funds to complete their legal name and document change. The fund is supported by USG and GPSG. Students applying for funds will work with Student Legal Services (SLS) to complete the legal process for changing their name and documents.

Students who have been charged for a new Iowa One Card due to a name change may be eligible for reimbursement. The Office of the Dean of Students provides financial support to students changing their name - eligibility information and the application are listed below.

To be eligible, students:

  • need to be currently enrolled at the University of Iowa
  • must have a demonstrated financial need
  • must work with Student Legal Services to be eligible for funding for changing legal documentation

Students may submit an application to Student Care & Assistance or speak with a staff member in SLS depending on their needs. Please contact a staff member in Student Care & Assistance (319-335-1162, or Student Legal Services (319-335-3276, regarding any questions or to find out more about the fund.