Dean of Students Emergency Fund

This fund was created to assist and support University of Iowa undergraduate, graduate, and professional students who encounter an unforeseen financial emergency or catastrophic event which would otherwise prevent them from continuing their education at the University of Iowa. The fund is supported by the Undergraduate Student Government (USG), the Graduate and Professional Student Government (GPSG), University of Iowa Center for Advancement, and campus partners.

These funds are not intended to be used for routine expenses or as a supplement to a student’s education funding sources. Instead, these funds are for those students who experience an event or unforeseen circumstance that negatively and severely impacts their academic success. The Office of Student Financial Aid provides assistance in determining if the granting of the emergency fund request would have a negative impact on current and future aid received. Priority will be given to students whose tenure at the University of Iowa may be at risk because of unexpected expenses. Funds may only be awarded once during an academic year and are unlikely to exceed $750 total. Funds are awarded and distributed with an average range of $350-$500.

Situations that warrant funding

  • Medical, dental or mental health emergencies for the student. This could include acute psychological crisis and short-term disability, necessitating immediate intervention. Monies could assist in continued enrollment or to cover an expense not covered by insurance or other funding.
  • Major accidents and events such as fire and natural disasters. Unexpected costs related to the event for which the student is financially unprepared are a few examples.
  • Safety needs. This could include the cost of changing a lock or a temporary relocation of residence.
  • Expenses related to the death of an immediate family member.

Eligibility for the fund

  • Need to be currently enrolled at the University of Iowa during the term when the emergency funds would be applied.
  • Must have a financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unplanned event.
  • Must be able to demonstrate their current financial need.
  • Must complete all questions in full, including how the monies will be spent.
  • Must describe other sources of funding and financial resources that have been considered (including student loans, Medicaid, personal financial accounts, community resources) and are insufficient, unavailable, or not available in a timely manner.

Apply for funds

Students can apply for the DOS Emergency Fund by submitting an application.

Please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 319-335-1162 or regarding any questions or to find out more about the application process.

Apply now

Give to the Student Life Emergency Fund

You can help support students through the fund! Visit the UICA site to donate at the link below.

Give Now

Student Name Change Fund

The University of Iowa offers the Student Name Change Fund for any undergraduate, graduate, and professional student needing assistance with legal name changes but with limited financial means or support. We also provide support for the cost of a new Iowa One Card if a student is not able to cover the costs for an update after a name change. This fund was initially created to assist students who are trans identified and seeking to update their documentation, but expanded to provide support to all students facing barriers in updating legal documentation. Issues related to identity and the ability to legally change documents and names can sometimes limit a student’s ability to fully participate academically and socially on campus, thus preventing them from continuing their education at the University of Iowa.

In 2016, the Office of the Dean of Students, the UI Trans Alliance organization, Undergraduate Student Government (USG), and Graduate and Professional Student Government (GPSG) developed a financial support fund that allows students with demonstrated financial need the opportunity to work with campus resources to obtain the necessary funds to complete their legal name and document change. The fund is supported by USG and GPSG. Students applying for funds will work with Student Legal Services (SLS) to complete the legal process for changing their name and documents.

Students who have been charged for a new Iowa One Card due to a name change may be eligible for reimbursement. The Office of the Dean of Students provides financial support to students changing their name - eligibility information and the application are listed below.

To be eligible, students:

  • need to be currently enrolled at the University of Iowa
  • must have a demonstrated financial need
  • must work with Student Legal Services to be eligible for funding for changing legal documentation

Students may submit an application to Student Care & Assistance or speak with a staff member in SLS depending on their needs. Please contact a staff member in Student Care & Assistance (319-335-1162, or Student Legal Services (319-335-3276, regarding any questions or to find out more about the fund.

Safe Room Program

The Office of the Dean of Students, in collaboration with the Iowa Memorial Union, provides a safe room program for undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in need of an emergency place to stay because of safety or violence concerns. The rooms are available as a temporary accommodation and a signed agreement from the participating party is required. Those eligible will be referred to the program directly from the following resources: Title IX and Gender Equity, University of Iowa Police Department, Rape Victim Advocacy Program, Student Care and Assistance, or other advocacy programs.

For additional information, please contact Student Care & Assistance at 319-335-1162 or