Frequently Asked Questions about Code of Student Life

For students who received a notice of complaint letter from a judicial administrator.

I received a letter from the Office of the Dean of Students and it sounds serious, is it?

Yes, the letter is serious. The Office of the Dean of Students received a report regarding an incident in which you may be involved.

Is the outcome of my meeting pre-determined?

No. The judicial administrator will make a decision whether you are responsible or not responsible for violating the Code of Student Life or other policy only after hearing your side of the story.

What information will the judicial administrator seek?

The judicial administrator seeks details and circumstances about the incident in question.

Are sanctions pre-determined?

Depending upon the findings of the judicial administrator, a pre-determined sanction may be imposed based on the violation(s). The sanctions imposed for violations depend upon the student’s prior disciplinary history and the nature of the violation. The potential sanctions that may be imposed are outlined in section 14 of the Student Judicial Procedure.

What if I have a scheduling conflict with the meeting time set by the judicial administrator?

If you have a scheduling conflict, call the Office of the Dean of Students (335-1162) as soon as possible to reschedule. If you wait to call your registration may be restricted, or the judicial administrator may proceed to make a decision in the case in your absence.

What rights do I have during the meeting with the judicial administrator?

You have the right to:
a. Meet with the judicial administrator and tell your side of the story
b. Submit documents and other relevant evidence
c. Bring an advisor (attorney, parent, advocate, or other support person) to the meeting with the judicial administrator
d. If you are disputing the charges, you have the opportunity to submit the names of witnesses who may have information relevant to the complaint (If you dispute the charges, the judicial administrator will complete the investigation and they will notify you in writing of his/her findings.)
e. Until you receive a final letter from the Office of the Dean of Students, you have the right to know, upon request, the status of the investigation in your case.

Should I read the Code of Student Life before the meeting?

We recommend that you read the Code of Student Life. You can refer to your notice of complaint letter for the rule(s) that you allegedly violated. We also recommend you read the Student Judicial Procedure.

Who is the judicial administrator?

Generally, the judicial administrator is a staff member in the Office of the Dean of Students. The judicial administrator’s role is described in the Student Judicial Procedure. The judicial administrator is authorized to (1) make findings of fact, (2) determine whether the student conduct rules apply to your case, and (3) impose non-suspension sanctions if you violated a conduct rule.

What if I have questions about the judicial process in advance of the meeting?

If you have basic procedural questions, you can contact your judicial administrator (listed in your notice of complaint letter) at 335-1162. The specific allegations cannot be discussed on the phone prior to the disciplinary conference meeting.

What if I don’t attend the meeting? Can I admit responsibility and resolve the case without meeting with anyone?

No, we expect you to attend the meeting even if you are not disputing the charges. If you do not attend, your registration may be restricted and the judicial administrator may decide to issue a decision and impose sanctions without your participation.

Can my lawyer or parents attend the meeting?

Yes, as long as you are present and give them permission to attend. You are responsible for any expenses. As a courtesy, please inform the judicial administrator in advance of your meeting who will attend the meeting with you. During the meeting, the judicial administrator may ask you to sign an information release form so that they can discuss your case after the meeting with your attorney and/or parent.

Do I have a right to read the document that describes my alleged misconduct?

Yes. During your meeting, the judicial administrator will share with you the complaint document(s). The complaint is placed in your disciplinary file and you have the right to view all the documents in your disciplinary file.

What if the description of the incident in the complaint is inaccurate? How do I dispute the allegations?

If you believe the complaint is inaccurate, explaining your side of the story during the meeting is important. As explained in the Student Judicial Procedure, you have the right to submit documents and other relevant evidence, and to identify witnesses who may have information relevant to the complaint. You also have a right to bring an advisor (e.g., attorney, parent, advocate, or other support person) to the meeting.

If the complaint is unfounded, the case may be dismissed and there no sanctions will be imposed. The judicial administrator will determine if you did or did not violate the Code of Student Life.

Following your meeting, the judicial administrator will work to complete the investigation and notify you in writing of the findings.

Why do I have to meet with the University when I’m resolving the issue in the court system?

The court charge and the Code of Student Life charge are two different matters even though they arose out of the same circumstance(s). The court system will work to resolve any criminal or civil violation of the laws. However, because you are also a student, you are responsible for complying with the Code of Student Life, which is a different system.

What happens if I pleaded guilty in court to a criminal charge filed by police in connection with this same incident?

A student who pleads guilty in court will be considered responsible for violating University conduct regulations and therefore subject to disciplinary sanctions. For more information, refer to section 6, “Criminal Charges,” in the Student Judicial Procedure.

What if my criminal charge is still pending in court and there is a trial date set?

University regulations are different than criminal laws and procedures. You are still required to contact the judicial administrator even if the criminal charge is not resolved in court. After they talk with you, the judicial administrator may decide to delay the resolution of your Code of Student Life complaint because criminal charges are pending. For more information, refer to section 6, “Criminal Charges,” in the Student Judicial Procedure.

Is there someone who could help me prepare for my meeting with the judicial administrator?

Yes, there are several resources are available, including the Student Judicial Procedure, the University Ombudsperson, or a private attorney may be an option (however you may be charged a fee for attorney services). If criminal charges are pending, it is strongly recommended that you consult with an attorney prior to your meeting with the judicial administrator.

Will the process be over once I meet with the judicial administrator?

That depends. There are several directions that your case may follow
a. The judicial administrator may conclude the investigation with the following outcomes:

  • You are responsible for violating University Policy(ies) and sanction(s) are imposed. [You must complete the sanction(s) before the case is closed.]
  • You are responsible for violating University Policy(ies) and no sanctions are imposed. [You and/or the complaining party may appeal the finding to the Office of the Vice President for Student Life.]
  • You are not responsible for violating University Policy(ies)and no sanctions are imposed.

b. The complaining party may appeal the finding to the Office of the Vice President for Student Life.The judicial administrator may not conclude their investigation after one meeting if new information. The judicial administrator may postpone their decision until additional information is gathered and you may have a second meeting. The process is not over until a final decision is issued from the judicial administrator, even then, you and/or the complaining party has the right to appeal the judicial administrator’s decision

For a visual representation of the Student Judicial Procedure, please see the University of Iowa Student Judicial Flowchart.

What if I do not like the decision made by the judicial administrator after our meeting?

You can ask for further review. When a judicial administrator finds you have violated the Code of Student Life, you have the opportunity to appeal the outcome by submitting a petition requesting the Office of the Vice President for Student Life (for non-suspension sanctions) or the Office of the Provost (for suspension or expulsion sanctions) to review the decision. Ordinarily, no meeting occurs during the appeal process; the Office of the Vice President for Student Life or the Office of the Provost will review the file and read the appeal petition you submit before issuing a final decision letter. For more information about the appeal process, refer to section 15 of the Student Judicial Procedure.

What are the chances I will be suspended from the University?

Decisions to suspend a student are made by the Dean of Students and not by a judicial administrator. If you received a letter from a judicial administrator, it means that you will not be suspended from classes so long as no additional violations occur. If the Dean of Students is considering a suspension, you will receive a letter from the Dean explaining the possible consequences if you are found guilty of a subsequent offense.

Even if you are not currently at risk of suspension, the outcome of your disciplinary conference with the judicial administrator may have important consequences that could result in a suspension in the future. The judicial administrator does have authority to impose serious sanctions short of suspension (such as a campus housing eviction, probation, or a mandatory counseling program). Furthermore, a student placed on probation is subject to suspension if a subsequent violation were to occur.

A student on probation facing suspension has the opportunity to request a formal hearing before a judicial officer to dispute the allegations. However, because the previous offense has already been resolved, the student placed on probation cannot dispute the first offense at the formal hearing.

My friend said they were charged with PAULA over a year ago and was not called in, why did I get charged by your office?

In August of 2010, the Code of Student Life was expanded to include off-campus. Your friend likely received the ticket prior to the expansion of the Code when our office did not have jurisdiction over the offense.

Who has access to my disciplinary record?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) severely restricts disclosures of non-directory information. In other words, if the information is not in the University’s phonebook, then it is not public information.

However, University employees with a legitimate educational interest (e.g., a dean or residence hall director) may review your record without your written permission. In addition, where health and safety emergencies exist, or when required by law, the University may release information without your permission.

If I am found responsible for violating University policy, what will appear on my transcripts?

Nothing. Iowa transcripts only track academic progress. Student disciplinary records are maintained separately, and are governed by FERPA in the manner described above.

I am also facing the legal process through the courts. Isn’t this double jeopardy?

No. The term double jeopardy applies only to the criminal justice system and prohibits the government from prosecuting a citizen multiple times for the same violation of law. The student disciplinary process is designed to enforce University regulations and review a student’s status at the University.

What happens if I withdraw from school, graduate or transfer to another institution before this is resolved?

A restriction may be placed on your registration. Your student record may indicate that you withdrew after the disciplinary complaint was filed and permission from the Office of the Dean of Students may be required before a withdrawn student may be permitted to re-enroll.

  1. Student Rights

    1. Student Bill of Rights
    2. Policies Related to Student Rights and Responsibilities
    3. Student Records Policy
    4. Student Complaints Concerning Faculty Actions
    5. Student Complaints Concerning Actions By Teaching Assistants
    6. University Policy on Human Rights
    7. Office of the University Ombudsperson
    8. University Policy on Sexual Harassment
    9. University Policy on Consensual Relationships Involving Students
    10. University Policy on Anti-Harassment
    11. Student Employee Grievance Procedure
    12. Complaints of Discrimination
    13. Disability Protection Policy
    14. Anti-Retaliation Policy
    15. Statement of Religious Diversity and the University Calendar
    16. Sexual Misconduct Involving Students, including Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment
      1. Sanctioning Guidelines for Sexual Assault
  2. Student Responsibilities

    1. Code of Student Life (2017-2018 academic year) 
    2. Student Judicial Procedure (2017-2018 academic year)
    3. Academic Misconduct
    4. Policy Regarding Use of Illegal Drugs and Alcohol
      1. Responsible Action Protocol
      2. Minimum Sanctions for Violations of the University Alcohol and Drug Policies
    5. Uniform Rules of Personal Conduct at Universities Under the Jurisdiction of the State Board of Regent
    6. Judicial Procedure for Alleged Violations of the Regents’ Rules of Personal Conduct
    7. Legal Assistance for Students
    8. Use of Campus Outdoor Areas
    9. Campus Policy on Violence 
    10. Policy on Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources
    11. Frequently Asked Questions about Code of Student Life
    12. Flowchart for Student Judicial Procedure
  3. Student Organizations 

    1. Registration of Student Organizations
    2. Administration of Student Organizations
    3. Discipline of Registered Student Organizations
  4. Miscellaneous

    1. Registration of Student Automobiles
    2. Lost & Found
    3. Reporting Correct Residential Address and E-mail Address
    4. Mandatory Student Fees Policy
    5. Voter Registration
    6. Picture Student Identification
    7. Graduation Rate
    8. Critical Mentoring and Student Support (Critical MASS)
    9. Federal Student Aid Penalties for Illegal Drug Convictions
    10. Annual Reports
    11. Dean Clearance Letters
  5. Campus Crime Policies & Statistics

    1. Department of Public Safety
    2. Safety & Respect
  6. Tables                                                                                          

    1. Controlled Substances - Uses & Effects
    2. Federal Tracking Penalties - Marijuana and Penalties for Possession 
    3. Penalties under Iowa Law for Manufacturing, Delivering, Possessing with the Intent to Deliver a Controlled Substance, a Counterfeit Substance or a Simulated Controlled Substance 
    4. Summary of Penalties for Various Offense Categories 

Site created by Student Life Marketing + Design